Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cakes, Mistakes, and Learning From Them

This first cake was my first attempt at basketweave, my second at drop flowers. Thankfully, there are so many drop flowers that by the end, I think I finally got them down! This cakes major error? I should have turned on the a/c and let it get nice and cold. The icing melted horribly and I had to put it in the fridge every few minutes so I could work with it. And the coffee in the mocha buttercream started to separate so the bottom rope has dark spots.




I made my first "novelty pan" cake this past weekend. Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I think it turned out great considering, but there's a few finishing touches that it could use. For example, how on earth can I get the sides smooth when it's a shaped cake??? Regardless, it was a delicious spring cake mix with lemon buttercream icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment